meow

vague and mostly nonsensical kat meowings...

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Thank God for Bassets!

oof. no more metrobuses for me man. I keep running into some strange people. Today was probably the worst though. Normally, when I get to the bus stop after work there is this chubby guy from North Dakota who is there and we sorta talk sometimes. He's from small town in ND and he seems nice enough. A little awkward like he doesn't get out much, but pretty nice and mostly harmless. At the end of the conversation he asked if I had a boyfriend and I said yes. I didn't feel like saying no and having to deal with anything he might potentially ask. I wanted to be nice and spare his feelings.

So today after a long day of work (I had to stay longer to finish up some reports) I get to the bus stop and say "hi" and the first thing he says to me is "are you pregnant?"

AAAGGGHHHHH!!! I didn't even know how to react... i was _pissed_ so I replied cooly "no... I'm not... and it's really insulting to ask someone that..."
ND bus guy: "I didn't mean to be insulting"
me: "It implies that I'm overweight... that's pretty harsh"
ND bus guy: "well, that's not a bad thing... I think that people who are overweight look good.
me: grrrr...
ND bus guy: "I just meant that you seem like a girl who doesn't care about how she looks."
me: ?!
ND bus guy: "I mean... you seem to care more about personality rather than appearance."

luckily his bus came right about then. I think I was too taken aback to say anything. That's a backhanded fucked up compliment if there ever was one. I think I am mostly insulted. Pregnant?! Sweet jesus!!! Who the hell asks that? I feel like you should NEVER ask a woman that unless it is absolutely clear that she is pregnant and looks like she just swallowed a beach ball. This is the only acceptable time to ask someone that. It also sucks b/c I wasn't even wearing something that made me look pregnant (some shirts can) So yeah... I don't really know how to take the whole "you don't care about the way you look" thing... maybe in his small ND town girls care a lot... I mean... I don't want to be a stupid make up girl... but I don't think that I go around looking shitty and frumpy either. Hmm... I think I will try to avoid that bus stop if I can...

I think the best part of the day for me was on the 2nd bus ride home today when I saw a woman walking her basset down Ford Parkway. He was so cute! He was slowlymaking his way down the street, dragging his feet all droopy -- just like clarence... I love basset's giant and vaguely ridiculous paws and long long ears. So sweet and pure and good! Exactly what I needed. Bassets can always make me smile -- They are so wonderfully happifying :o) even after a day like today.

2 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger A monkey on typewriter said...

Well Kat I never told you when we were at the LO b/c i have a thing about talking to girls that I work with but you were always cute to me and don't let some stupid small town hick bring you down. You will always be the reason I came to work :)

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger GobberGo said...

Man, it's rough learning the "wrong compliment" list, but very necessary--as I've learned...

My mom was asked at a GoodWill if she wanted the senior discount. That's gotta be upsetting too if you're not a senior yet. The lady at the register was just trying to help her save some money, but still it seems that senior status is one of those things--like pregnancy--that should never be assumed. Someone should really come up with a list of "dos and don'ts" for the well-meaning-yet-naive populace. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home